Why I (try to) pray the Liturgy of the Hour?

 

    

    I started praying the Liturgy of the Hour (LOTH) or the Divine office from March this year during the lockdown as a layperson. I would not say that I prayed it perfectly I am still learning at this stage. What I would like to share in this blog are the reasons that I started praying it. Before that, I would give an informal introduction to LOTH. 


Five REASONS I pray Liturgy of the Hour as a laity.

  • To pray unceasingly 

In the letter to the Thessalonians, St Pauls ask Christians to stay joyful and pray unceasingly. I think that is what the LOTH has already achieved. Most of the psalms in LOTH composed of praising God and giving Him thanks. By praying a few times in a day, I tend to stay closer with the Lord by remembering that He walks with me in each hour of my life. Praying the Divine Office also reminded me that I pray to live not the other way round. Our works and deeds should be rooted in our prayers.

  • The Sanctification of each day 

In Morning prayer, we offer our day, pray the intentions of the Church and giving thanks to God for a new day.

In Evening prayer, we give thanks again for this day, offer up all the work we did that day.

In Night prayer, we ask God to protect us when we sleep and looking forward for a new day if He blesses us with.

When a day of a faithful start and end with prayer, we invite God into our life and acknowledge His blessings.

  • It is strongly connected to the Mass and all the Feasts

According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, The Liturgy of the Hour is like an extension of the Eucharistic celebration which calls forth the devotions especially towards adoration and the worship of the Blessed Sacrament. LOTH is like the Mass which is a prayer that belongs to the whole Church, through the priesthood that we were baptised, we are called to be united in prayer with all clergy and religious, to pray as a whole.

  • One Church saying one prayer

LOTH is not a private devotion but a communal prayer. I might not feel abandoned when praying the psalm that is describing the prayer of a sick man, but I am praying on behalf of the need of the other part of the Body of Christ. It is the same when I may not feel joyful when I am praying the psalms of the praise and thanksgiving. But this is a prayer of the whole Church with Jesus Christ to the Father.

  • It is the word of God 

The word of God is a powerful tool if we allow it to immerse in us as we pray with them more often. The word of God changes us gradually if we allow it to. The word of God has the power to strengthen us, heal our wounds and brokenness and give us encouragement and affirmation.

 

so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth;
    it shall not return to me empty,
but it shall accomplish that which I purpose,
    and succeed in the thing for which I sent it.   Isaiah 55:11



Watch this!! if you want to know more about the Liturgy of the Hour 


Further Reading:

General Instruction to the Liturgy of the Hour (Pdf) 

時辰禮儀潘家駿神父(PDF) 

Universalis (Pray using your phone, without the book) 

Divine Office.Org 


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual reasons that I may permanent logging off the social media world

勇于承认我们的破碎,不堪和心灵上的伤口.

The real story about the Ecological Crisis (Oversimplified version)